How has the Gastric Bypass procedure been done in India?
In India, the procedure is mostly done in a laparoscopic way i.e by insertion of a lighted scope with a camera through the incision at the upper portion of the abdomen. Through another incision, other surgical instruments can be inserted. In this way, the procedure has been performed in a conservative approach or in a minimally invasive way. This procedure will ensure quicker recovery and less hospital stay for the patients in India who are coming from outside to get their surgery done and hence it will become less expensive for them too.
If you want to know more about the other bariatric procedures thoroughly, you can go through our previous articles.
- In this procedure, one thin tube is attached to the band and it is accessible through the port that is placed under the skin. Saline solution is injected into the band to inflate it. Thus the degree of constriction or relaxation can be adjusted by inflating or deflating the band around it.
- By putting the band at the upper side of the stomach, a small pouch-shaped stomach is being created. This will help to reduce the amount of food a stomach can hold after taking a small amount of food.
- In India, mostly these surgeries are performed in the outpatient departments.
- The whole procedure will be done under the effect of general anesthesia so that patients won’t feel any pain during the procedure.
How much time does gastric bypass surgery take in India?
It will take a maximum of 30 to 60 minutes.
When can the patient resume his/her daily schedule after getting back to their home from India?
In India, due to the advanced technology and improved surgical procedure, patients can resume their work within a day or two. But still, it is advised to the patients to take a few days off from work.
Who is a good candidate for gastric banding surgical procedure according to Indian Gastroenterologist?
- The person who is having a BMI of at least 40 or above it.
- If some people are too heavy for undergoing gastric bypass procedure.
- If you are considering a weight-loss surgical procedure as a permanent solution.
How to prepare for a gastric banding surgical procedure in India?
- You have to start doing physical activities and maintain a proper diet before you will go for the surgical procedure.
- If you are a vigorous smoker, you should stop taking tobacco in any form before undergoing surgery.
- You should plan for the recovery and appoint any help at home for household chores if you need any.
- You have to limit your eating, drinking and watch your diet a few days before the surgery.
What are the precautions you should take before undergoing gastric banding surgery in India?
- Consult all your queries related to the procedure with your surgeons and clear your doubts.
- Make sure you inform all your past and present medical history to your doctor in India and if necessary you can tell your doctor to consult with your doc at your hometown also.
- If you are prone to some allergic reactions or you are taking any herbal supplements, you need to mention that too.
- If you are under any medications especially on blood thinners like aspirin or some NSAIDs like ibuprofen, naproxen you should inform your doc and stop or adjust the dosage of those medications before surgery according to your physician’s advice.
- If you are anemic, you should start having iron supplements before you go for surgery.
- Women on OCP(Oral contraceptive pill) should stop taking pills at least before one month of surgery.
After getting confirmation from the lab reports and medical examination that you are undergoing gastric banding surgery, your surgeon or medical personnel will guide you and your family about the Dos and Don’ts before surgery.
What are the advantages you can have from this Gastric banding surgery over other bariatric procedures?
No malabsorption is associated with this gastric banding surgery whether in other bariatric surgeries there will be some absorption issues patients might face.
What is the diet you should follow after the surgery once you get back to your home from India?
You can’t follow your previous diet chart right after the surgery and you have to limit the amount of food you are taking after the surgery. You have to maintain the postoperative diet chart provided by your surgeon and stick to it until full recovery.
- On the very first day right after the surgery, you can take clear liquids.
- After the surgery for 4 weeks, you have to take pureed foods along with a protein shake.
- You can start having soft solid food after the 1st month of surgery and during this time you should chew every food properly so that it can easily get digested.
- Always avoid high-calorie soda and high carbs food products.
- Don’t drink while eating as it may tend to overfill your stomach easily and it can get stretched.
- You can have any liquid or water half an hour after finishing your meal.
- Always take vitamins, minerals, and supplements prescribed by your doctor to avoid any kind of nutrition deficiency during this time.
What are various risk factors you might face right after the surgery?
During the recovery period, one should follow all the instructions your doc has advised.
Otherwise, you might land up having
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Blood clot formation
- Leaking through the stomach
- Nausea, vomiting
- Breathing problems due emboli formation
- Sometimes the port might shift which might have required additional surgery.
- Band might erode into the stomach and can cause mechanical problems.
- The Silicone Band might slip also in a few cases.
What are the other long-term complications you might face after surgery?
- Hypoglycemia or reduced blood sugar
- Gastrointestinal reflux
- Gastrointestinal obstruction
- Recurrent vomiting
- Other internal organ injury during the procedure
- Gastrointestinal Scarring which may lead to bowel blockage.
Though these kinds of complications are rare these days due to advanced technology and modified-conservative surgical procedures.
What are the benefits of having gastric banding surgery in India?
- In the case of obese people, this can be a long-term weight loss process. So that even if you are traveling for a long distance to India for treatment purposes, you don’t have to fly so frequently.
- Rapid recovery will be there after the surgery as in India, highly skilled doctors are
performing this kind of procedure day and night.
- Postoperative infection chances are less in this surgery, as in India the operatories are always sterilized after the procedure.
- The chances of developing hernia are always less in this procedure.
- It will reduce the risks of developing diabetes and blood pressure.
- It will help to reduce almost 40-60% excess weight loss.
Thus it can improve the quality of life at an economic cost with excellent results if you are going through the procedure in India.
When can you start having your regular meal?
Two to three months after the surgery, you can start having your regular meal but in a limited quantity.
What are the FAQs you should ask your surgeon about after gastric banding surgery?
- What are all the medications you have to take?
- Will there be any follow-up visits?
- When can you resume your work and regular lifestyle?
- When can you start doing exercises?
- How to do the postoperative wound management and when the stitches will be removed?
What are the instructions you need to follow after the gastric banding surgery?
- Low fat, low salt diet as excessive salt intake can cause edema or fluid buildup inside the body after the surgery.
- 5 servings of food along with fresh fruits and vegetables
- Stay hydrated all the time. Increase water and fluid intake specifically just after the surgery.
- Take calcium and phosphorus enriched food like dairy products.
- Reduce eating outside as can make yourself prone to infection
- Be regular with your medications.
- Keep your blood pressure, diabetes always in check.
- Avoid having carbonated drinks at least for 7 days after the surgery.
- You have to attend all the follow-up visits to your doctor’s office.
- You should undergo lab testing and various bloodwork and after the evaluation of those test results, your doc will allow you to resume your daily lifestyle.
What are the instructions you need to follow a day before surgery?
- Do not take any food or liquid 6 hours before surgery
- Avoid heavy meals for at least one day before the surgery, try to keep your bowel empty before undergoing surgery. This will reduce nausea before surgery.
- You should scrub with an antibiotic soap the night before and once in the morning before the surgery.
How to choose doctors if you want to go for a gastric banding surgical procedure?
- You can go through the reviews of those who have already been through gastric banding surgical procedures in multiple medical forums and if you are worried about some negative review, you can always consult with your doctor about the matter.
- Look for the experience of general surgeons and positive patient stories.
- You can also look for the success rate of sleeve gastrectomy surgery done by your surgeon.
Which are the best places to go for gastric banding surgical procedures in India?
You can opt for these places in India for better surgical outcomes.
Who are the best doctors for performing gastric banding surgery in India?
Well-experienced and board-certified general laparoscopic surgeons and gastroenterologists along with endocrinologists can perform the procedure in India. And make sure to check the accreditation of the hospital beforehand from where you are getting your gastric banding surgery done.
Why should you go for gastric banding surgery in India?
India is the best place to get well-experienced and skilled surgeons who are comfortable with the best and latest available technology. You can avail the quality treatment within your budget and you will get personalized care from trained medical personnel. Hence it ensures shorter hospital stays and quicker recovery.
Any botched-up case of gastric banding surgery in India?
To date no such cases have been reported as here in India, surgeons are way more skilled and experienced. But to avoid these kinds of cases, you should choose your surgeon carefully.
Do you feel that the cost is way out of your budget? Are you looking for insurance?
In India, the majority of health insurance coverage is for serious ailments. That’s why the chances of getting coverage for the procedure are higher. But before that, you can find out if your policy covers the weight-loss surgical procedure. You can consult with your financial advisor or contact the Medicare or Medicaid associates related to the matter and explore the possibilities along with your surgeon. Though nowadays EMI facilities are available in some financial agencies. Even after that, you are feeling it’s difficult for you to avail yourself of the insurance, you can always ask your doctor to write one letter to your insurer describing the importance of this surgery on your health. If your insurance company provides coverage also, it will bear a partial amount of its budget. So make sure you read the details and go for it.
Takeaway- if you want to lose your weight in a faster way, then this might not be the desired surgical procedure for you as sudden weight loss will not be there. The best part about this surgery is that it is reversible. If you feel that you are not getting proper results even after undergoing the surgery, the band should be tightened enough and if you are feeling vomiting, you might undergo loosening of the band. So come visit us in India and experience a hassle free surgery. If you are still confused about what to do next, you can always reach us.